Bomb blast claims three lives in central Nigeria
At least three people have been killed and three others wounded in a bomb explosion that ripped through a football viewing center in a central Nigerian town, police sources say.
Publish date : Sunday 25 May 2014 11:28
Chris Olakpe, a police official in Nigeria’s Plateau state, said an improvised explosive device (IED) went off near the football viewing center in the town of Jos, where a group of people were watching the European Champions League final on Saturday.
“So far, we have three dead, three injured,” added the Nigerian police official.
Olakpe further said the explosive device was being carried by a bomber when it exploded prematurely, adding, “He was consumed by his IED. It exploded before the viewing center because of pressure from local youths and the alertness of the local people.”
The explosion took place days after twin bombs targeted a crowded bus terminal in Jos, leaving at least 118 people dead on May 20.
There has been no immediate claim of responsibility for the recent attack targeting football fans in Jos, but officials and residents usually blame members of the Boko Haram Takfiri group for such acts of violence.
Boko Haram has claimed responsibility for a number of deadly gun and bomb attacks in various parts of Nigeria since 2009.
Hours after twin bombings in Jos on May 20, Boko Haram assailants targeted two villages in Nigeria’s northeastern Borno state, killing at least 30 people.
In mid-April, Boko Haram also abducted around 300 teenage schoolgirls from Chibok school in Borno state.
Boko Haram -- whose name means “Western education is forbidden” -- says its goal is to overthrow the Nigerian government.